0.416
IF
15
MNiSW
137.55
ICV
CASE REPORT
 
CC BY-NC 3.0 Polska
 
 

Accidental severe poisoning with methemoglobinogenic substance: A case report

Kinga Rośniak-Bąk 1  ,  
Marek Bąk 2,  
 
1
Uniwersytet Medyczny w Łodzi / Medical University of Lodz, Łódź, Poland (Zakład Diagnostyki Laboratoryjnej i Biochemii Klinicznej / Department of Laboratory Diagnostics and Clinical Biochemistry)
2
Instytut Medycyny Pracy im. prof. J. Nofera / Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, Łódź, Poland (Klinika Toksykologii, Oddział Toksykologii / Toxicology Clinic, Division of Clinical Toxicology)
3
Instytut Medycyny Pracy im. prof. J. Nofera / Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, Łódź, Poland (Klinika Toksykologii, Pracownia Diagnostyki Toksykologicznej / Toxicology Clinic, Toxicological Diagnostic Laboratory)
Med Pr 2017;68(6):795–801
KEYWORDS:
TOPICS:
ABSTRACT:
A 45-year-old male patient was admitted to the Regional Poison Center because of poisoning with dimethyloaniline contained in a toxic resin-curing dimethyl aniline-based formulation ingested inadvertently. Intoxication happened at workplace. The patient was then transferred to the Toxicology Clinic, where he stayed for 3 weeks. During the hospitalization, the primary method of treatment involved administration of methylene blue, which is the antidote of choice in such cases. During the intensive care and treatment of the patient massive intravascular hemolysis was seen. In that case treatment with blood products was required. He also showed signs of liver dysfunction due to cholestatic liver damage and jaundice. The reported case shows that severe organ damage may result from poisoning with even a small amount of the toxicant. Med Pr 2017;68(6):795–801
CORRESPONDING AUTHOR:
Kinga Rośniak-Bąk   
Uniwersytet Medyczny w Łodzi, Zakład Diagnostyki Laboratoryjnej i Biochemii Klinicznej, ul. Pomorska 251, 91-348 Łódź
Copy url
Share
 
 
eISSN:2353-1339
ISSN:0465-5893